Slip-and-fall accidents are more serious and happen way more often than you may think. Slip-and-fall accidents take place when a person slips, trips, or falls on another person’s property. There are more than 25,000 slip-and-fall accidents reported every single day in the United States that require a hospital visit to treat injuries. These incidents occur every day, even though the U.S. has worked hard to put specific guidelines, standards, codes, and laws in place in areas where construction is being done and on current properties. For that reason, it is crucial to speak with a skilled and knowledgeable Texas slip-and-fall lawyer if you have been injured in a slip-and-fall accident. By speaking with a knowledgeable Houston personal injury lawyer at DeHoyos & Connolly, PLLC about your injury accident, you will find out if you have the right to file a personal injury lawsuit for the injuries and losses you or your loved one sustained in a slip-and-fall accident.
Most slip-and-fall accidents do not just happen without reason; they usually occur because of some type of negligent action or lack of action entirely. They happen because someone ignored the safety standards that are required by law in Texas. All companies, their employees, and property owners/managers must know and understand that there are OSHA standards that must be adhered to in order to better prevent these types of dangerous slip-and-fall accidents which occur in doorways, on surfaces that are uneven, on ladders, and in many more areas.
If you or someone you love has been injured in a slip-and-fall accident in Houston or one its surrounding areas and are not sure if you have the right to file a lawsuit for your injuries and losses, call the skilled and highly trained lawyers at DeHoyos & Connolly, PLLC. We will answer all of your questions let you know whether or not you have a strong case for a slip-and-fall lawsuit.
Who is at Risk for a Slip-and-Fall Accident?
Slip-and-fall incidents do not discriminate when it comes to age and gender; all people are at risk. That being said, people between the ages of 0-19 years of age are at a higher risk of slipping and falling. Falls in young children between the ages of 5-9 and young people between the ages of 15-19 are ranked 12th in leading causes of death. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention states that falls are the number one cause of non-fatal injuries in the United States.
The elderly citizens in our community are also at an increased risk of falling and are more prone to sustaining serious injuries. They are often unsteady on their feet, have difficulty getting around, have vision problems, or are not carefully monitored leading to a fall. The unintentional fall death rate for the elderly has steadily been on the rise since 2004. Statistics indicate that almost 50% of all slip-and-fall incidents are fatal. According to the National Floor Safety Insititute, one in three individuals who exceed the age of 65 will suffer a fall, and 5% of all those that fall will experience a bone fracture.
When you or a loved one has sustained injuries due to a slip-and-fall accident, it is crucial to talk with a slip-and-fall lawyer who understands all of the ins and outs of Texas laws to ensure that your rights are protected and you get the compensation that you are entitled to for your injuries and damages. Traversing the legal system when it comes to personal injury can be very difficult and extremely confusing, which is why enlisting the help of an experienced legal team is so beneficial. The lawyers at DeHoyos & Connolly, PLLC understand the circumstance that can result from injuries due to a slip-and-fall in Houston and throughout Texas, and we are here to help you with your personal injury claim.
Collecting Evidence of Liability
After a slip-and-fall accident in Houston, it is important to have as much substantiating evidence as possible concerning the location where the accident occurred. Our legal team will work diligently to obtain all of the following information in order to build a rock solid case on your behalf:
- Video Surveillance of the Fall – If the fall happened at a public business, the likelihood that there were cameras on the premises is high. You cannot go wrong with visual evidence of the incident.
- Witness Testimony – Other individuals who were present at the scene of the incident can attest to what happened. Having any of these people speak on your behalf and provide first-hand account documents your accident will be in your benefit.
- Expert Testimony – After you have experienced an injury due to a slip-and-fall, you must seek medical attention immediately. It is important to have your injuries properly diagnosed by a qualified medical specialist so that you can get the right treatment and increase the likelihood of a full recovery. Additionally, an expert speaking on your behalf regarding the presence and the extent of the injury is important information which will support your claim.
- History of Slip-and-Falls on the Property – You may not be the first or the only one to have experienced a slip-and-fall on a property. If there has been a failure on the part of the owner to maintain the property so that it is safe for individuals to enter, there is a good reason to believe that others have also had similar incidents. Should the property have a history of this type of accident, it speaks to the owner’s negligence in keeping the property up to appropriate safety measures.
- Photos of Dangerous Conditions – Just like in the case of an automobile accident, documenting the environment and the scene are important additions to back up your claim. If you can show the exact issues at the property which caused it to be unsafe and caused your slip-and-fall, this provides solid evidence of owner negligence and potential liability.
- Maintenance Records – The upkeep of a property, especially in the cases of commercial properties, will have a record of maintenance. If those records show carelessness in maintenance or neglect for the property, this will help your claim against the owner of the property for liability.
- Incident and Police Reports – Similar to expert testimony and also similar to the way you would respond after an automobile accident, calling the police to the scene of the accident to assess the damages, your injuries, and notate the details of the incident makes for important backup documentation in your favor.
Common Areas for Slip & Fall Accidents In Texas
Property owners, property managers, and businesses are required by law to take precautions to ensure the safety of their customers and guests. That includes precautions that are put in place to avoid putting customers, guests, or passersby at risk of falling and or enduring a personal injury. They must properly maintain floors and walkways in a specific manner, including conducting frequent inspections and surveys of the premises, ensuring passageways and walkways are properly lit up and free from obstructions, and having adequate warning signage and proper cleanup supplies should a spill occur all readily available.
The National Safety Council has identified the most common areas where slip-and-falls occur, and they include:
- Uneven surfaces
- Crowded locations
These types of structures or environments tend to be located in specific public locations where slip-and-falls frequently occur. These public places include:
- Gas stations
- Apartment buildings
- Department or grocery stores
- Parking lots
- Uneven pavement or trails
The attorneys at DeHoyos & Connolly, PLLC can help you and your family if you have been injured in a slip-and-fall accident that was caused by the careless, reckless, or negligent actions of another person or business. Hire the legal team at DeHoyos & Connolly, PLLC to represent you in your slip-and-fall claim. We will analyze your case and determine if you have a reason to sue. We will be able to determine if there was negligence or a hazard on another person’s property that should have been repaired that caused you to get hurt. We have significant experience proving liability even in the most difficult of cases. Businesses may fight hard to reject your slip-and-fall injury claim, you need attorneys that will fight back just as hard for you to prove your claim.
Common Injuries From Slip-and-Fall Accidents
Slip-and-fall accidents are the leading cause of all emergency room visits in the United States. Slip-and-fall accidents can cause injured victims to miss work causing a decrease in productivity and cause significant pain for the millions of Americans injured each year. Some of the most common injuries that slip-and-fall victims sustain are:
- Broken bones
- Sprained ankles or wrists
- Knee and joint injuries
- Shoulder dislocations or muscle strains and tears
- Cuts, bruises, and soft tissue injuries
In some situations, the devastation from a slip-and-fall can be severe. These types of injuries include:
- Spine and nerve damage – Not only is there physical pain that is associated with these injuries, but the long-lasting effects can be life-altering. The spine is crucially important for the body in terms of how it functions. Recovery from a severe spinal injury can result in extended hospitalization and substantial amounts of physical therapy, not to mention the possibility of paralysis in the worst cases.
- Traumatic brain injury – The aftermath of these injuries can be fatal to severe. The mildest symptoms can include:
- Nausea or vomiting
- Dizziness or loss of balance
- Sensory problems
- Cognitive malfunctions
The most severe symptoms can include:
- Seizures or convulsions
- Clear fluids draining from the ears or nose
- Numbness and weakness
- Extreme confusion
- Slurred speech
Any of these injuries can result in time away from work, which leads to a loss of wages as well as the possibility of affecting your job security. Medical bills may also pile up for the initial treatments and any ongoing treatment needed. These are all tangible losses that can be difficult as well as upsetting. There is also an emotional toll that the entire ordeal can take on your body and mind. These cognitive damages can also be considered losses.
These negative and sometimes life-changing effects should not be taken lightly. Call DeHoyos & Connolly, PLLC at (832) 767-3568 for a free consultation to discuss your experience and your case with one of our compassionate attorneys today.
Why DeHoyos & Connolly, PLLC?
Our team of attorneys offers a combined 22 years of experience working on behalf of injured residents in of the state of Texas. We have civically engaged in the local Houston community and are active members of prestigious professional affiliations in the region. Mr. Connolly is a member of the Houston Young Lawyers Association, Texas Young Lawyers Association, Houston Bar Association, Texas Association of Defense Counsel, and the Houston Maritime Association.
We work hard to be advocates for our clients and will aggressively fight on their behalf. When you need effective legal representation on your side to help you work through a slip-and-fall injury, call us at 832-767-3568 and schedule a free consultation. We are here to help.